BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
January 21, 2018, 12:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chelmsley Wood  (Read 41 times)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:07 AM »

Does anyone know where all these people came from to house Chelmsley Wood?
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:38:52 PM »

A lot came from Saltley both my aunts lived in the Heathway from 58
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »

Sorry that's Shard End
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »

I know a lot of them came from slum clearance, but which part of brum? Others had been sharing council accommodation with parents and thier own kids. My nan moved out of a three bed house in Hall Green, into a 1 bed bungalow, not far from Pine Square. We came from a council house in Kings Norton, with my brother, his wife, their two year old with another on the way. They were on the council waiting list and after about 18 months they got offered a new council house up by the Happy Trooper. He later (1972/3) bought his first house (new) in Cambridge Drive, Chelmsley Wood, a Semi for 2999. There were some new detached houses for 3999.   

Chelmsley Wood in the early days was a nice place to live. As in all areas you get good and bad. I lived in a council house just off Chapel House Rd. There were very few what I would call problem families in our vicinity in 1968. We all got on well.

As Chelmsley got bigger and they started to build the later areas it did seem to get rougher.

Where we lived, there was a mix of what I still call 'bought houses', many of these were bought by young families that wanted their first bought house. Three bed Semi cost 2500. There was also a 'Self Build' area, a dozen or so houses. I do think the social mix helped (at that time), as I could go and play with kids that had a bit more behind them, and I could see another world.

Interestingly though, there were not many unemployed on that part of the estate (in bought or council houses) in the 60's and early 70's. As the 70's wore on, we did start to get some troublesome families move in and it did get rough, sheds broken into, cars stolen, washing disappearing off the line and unemployment was rising in the area.

We moved away in 75/76 

Twm Sion   
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »

My Mom and dad were offered a house in Maytree close or grove think it was area 2 not far from the Prince Hal Pub brand new, We were living in Shard End at the time, I don't know the real reason why they didn't except it only that my Dad worked at the Morris Commercial at the time and my Dad didn't drive so putting 2 and 2 together it must have been the lack of public transport at that time, so we stayed in Shard End and I am so glad we did.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:21:36 PM by townie » Logged
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »

Prince Hal was on one of the first areas to be built. In fact it may have been called Area 1. Buses for a number of years were just Midland Red. Numbers could have been 175 & 185 I think. I remember I had to pay for my dog to travel on Midland Red.

The Doctors surgery and Dentist at that time were situated in a couple of the ground floor flats of the tower block near the Prince Hal. GP's in 1968 were Dr Clowes, Dr Gill and Dr Leung.

There were 5 or six shops by the Prince Hal. I can remember a Butcher, Fruit shop and Paper/Sweet/Toy shop. The man that owned the paper shop was interesting to talk to. I bought an Air Fix model, a Junkers JU 52 (I think). The man who owned the shop told me a lot about the plane. He had been made prisoner of war, captured by the Germans and transported in one of these planes. They were shot at and by anti aircraft guns and hit by flack. He said there was a big hole in the side of the plane and the crew just shoved and riveted another piece of corrugated aluminium over the hole. They carried on.....

Can anyone remember the other shops by the pub?
Twm Sion   

Was having a think after my last post and my neighbours one side were from Kings Hurst and the other side an older couple with their son and Granddad were from Arthur Street or Road (which I think could have Been Small Heath), their house there was demolished. There were a couple of families that arrived directly from the Caribbean and Africa that were given houses too. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: