BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
July 18, 2018, 02:23:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transport Cafe's  (Read 278 times)
Twm Sion

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »

In the 1970's I travelled out into many of the counties surrounding Birmingham as a contractor. On the road from early in the morning a welcome sight would be the Transport Cafe. A lot if them were huts or old houses but the majority had large parking areas for heavy goods.

Many of these places were on the very busy A roads. The majority of this traffic has moved on to by-passes and Motorways. The old transport cafe is dying fast, some still survive. Which transport cafe's do you remember? Where were they, what were they best known for?

One particular cafe I remember was just north east of Warwick at five ways island, somewhere between Warwick, Claverdon and Welsbourne. This started out as a bit of a shack and rebuilt in about 1972.

Anyone remember the Olde Pounde Cafe, I think think this was just before Wooten Wowen, travelling from Brum, on the right.
Twm Sion
townie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »

When I was on the road I don't think I ever stopped at transport cafes as my mission was to get there and get back.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:59:25 PM »

Nice one! Mine was to do a days work once I got there before driving back.
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »

When I was distancing always slept in the cab in the car park of a cafe in Abergavenny,great breakfast and because he got to know me I used to get bigger breakfasts,
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »

When I was distancing always slept in the cab in the car park of a cafe in Abergavenny,great breakfast and because he got to know me I used to get bigger breakfasts,
Edifi, I travel through Abergaveny about twice a month. Where was the cafe you mention? I had been going through the town but now using the by-pass.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

There was a great transport cafe on the Fillongly Rd, just off the A45, near the Triumph motorcycle works. The cafe was on the right, almost like a bungalow. They still cooked on a solid fuel Aga until it closed in about 1973.
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »

My uncle was a long distance lorry driver so in the school hols I'd go on some trips out with him stopping at many different transport cafes. I remember one used to make me a knickerbocker glory think it was somewhere in Wales?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: