BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
January 19, 2018, 05:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY - Do it yourself jobs and projects  (Read 28 times)
Twm Sion

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:02:26 PM »

Anyone out there keen on DIY? Would be good to know what you are doing, what you are good at or what you need advice on. Would be great to share our advice and experiences

Any projects in the planning stage, large small or 'pipe dreams' ?What's gone well in the past and what have you learned from any DIY disasters?

I'm at the planning stage (just thinking about it) new doors for my workshop. Fixing the drainage around the house, replacing the bedroom ceiling and making some bird nest boxes.

Twn Sion
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »

Hello Twm
We have got to increase ventilation in the loft to stop damp. Have you ever fitted tubes through the sofit boards.
Many thanks
Gerald.
Never have loft and wall insulation. Most houses in Wales are not suitable.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »

Hi Gerald, I've not fitted any of those tubes. Got the same problem with ventilation. The soffits on my place are quite narrow and open. The problem I have is the ceiling of the bedroom is match board nailed directly to the rafters. The gap between match board and slate is about three inches, it's full of insulation that was put n 30 years ago when I had the roof felt and slates replaced.

I also have birds that go under he soffits and build their nests on top of the wall plate and up against the bedroom ceiling. It stinks in the summer. So I think I may put mesh on the soffit gaps to stop the birds and remove the insulation, increase the gap between the bedroom ceiling and the slates and rebooted the ceiling with thicker timber.

To be honest I'm dreading what I may find as regards to rot. I'm not lucky enough to find a horde of precious coins left there centuries ago.

Twm Sion
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »

I prefer to get someone else to do my decorating.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: