BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
January 19, 2018, 05:45:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHERE DO YOU LIVE NOW  (Read 55 times)
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:58:46 PM »

I live in Wales, where do you live
Gerald.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »

Tamworth
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »

Anyone Know anything about the Burial Chambers in Wales.
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »

I know very little, would be interesting to hear from anyone that does have some knowledge.
Twn Sion
Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »

I live in Tamworth as well Townie. For the first 25 years of my life I didn't have a view or house worth having eyes for.
My first home in Nechells was a back to back hovel in the top half of Cromwell St and unless you liked looking at a row of heavily used outside toilets then I suggest you pick elsewhere.

143 Ashted Row wasn't much better, although in all fairness we had a wonderful view of our next door neighbours pigeon pen.

9 Hindlow Close didn't exactly make the dream views catalogue either.

From our back window we over looked a 20ft square garden full of asylum seeking weeds, after that a row of derelict garages where no one would park a car because no bugger owned one, then a row of unused car ports, past those a 12ft railway wall and finally Duddeston Mill railway yards. 

I finally got a decent view when I bought my first house by Barr Beacon, the sights there were truly magnificent, sadly my house was too cheap to have windows, so I never really got to appreciate it.

These days from my back windows, I can see countryside right out through to Warton, Shuttington, several other villages right over to Burton on Trent.
On a dark winter night it really is pretty to see all those twinkling village lights.
How long that will last I don't know since they sold Amington golf course off to build 'Starter' homes beginning at 300,000, I expect the trees and everything else they'll plant to soon begin hiding all those wonderful views from me.

But its cool, I've come a long way from Nechells.

townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:25 PM »

Its a shame about the council selling the golf club that was the first bar I used when I came to Tamworth. We formed our first football team from there called Amington Eagles after the road Eagle Drive. We also formed a darts team from there and held all our presentations in the lounge. Never really got into Golf but my mate and I, used to go over there around 4am, even the chap on the mower cutting the greens used to stop and let us finish the hole. A really great place but that was 40+ years ago. Then they built the Gardeners Arms which was just up the road from my house so that then became my local a great pub we had a Football Team, Cricket Team 2 Darts teams, Domino and Pool team, and believe it or not I was in all of them captain of the Football and Cricket teams. I love Tamworth and the only way I would move was if I won the lottery then it would be off to either Dorset or a small village in the Cotswolds.   
Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »

We mirrored each other then Townie, I played football for the Scotsman, darts for the Pigs, the three Tuns at Fazeley, Tame Valley Alloys, all in the Villagers League.
Then I played snooker for Madewell under Ron Gibson.
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »

Hello Boys
Did you know the Jacksons in Hindlow Close. They were my Aunt and Uncle.
Starter homes at 300.000 is a joke.
Speak to your MP as soon as possible and get him to help you keep the view you have now.
They can swing it your way if you act quickly. If its too late ask for remedial plantings to form a hill
fully planted with a mix of tree and shrubs.
Are their enough school places, jobs and health services available to cope with increase in population.
Wave the flag
Gerald.
Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »

Hi Gerald, no chance it was his party that sold the course!
No Sorry, I lived there from 63 to 77.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »

Kandor I played against the Scotsman many a time. I also played dominos for the Pigs when Mick Ted owned it as I used to work for him.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »

I live in mid Wales, I bought a tumbled down pile of stone on a mountain in about 1980. No body wanted it, I saw the potential, had some very cold rough days here for the first few years. But got it quite nice now. All my mates in Brum told me I was throwing my money away. Now they ask, how did you get such a place.

I lived in many places in Brum, our moves were cyclical. We would move back to where we had been before. Originally we were a Tinker family that travelled for work, I guess they travelled around Brum and work was static at Bakelite Tyseley.

The areas I have lived, some more than once, Great Barr, Hall Green (about four times) , Kings Norton, (about three times)  Chelmsley Wood, and Tamworth for a very short time.

Twm Sion
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: