BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
April 23, 2018, 11:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What schools did you go to  (Read 416 times)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »

Please tell what schools you attended? Were they good or bad, did you enjoy? Did anyone attend Bentley Road School Castle Bromwich?
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »

I went to Lea Village Sec Mod from 1950-54 .Really did enjoy it,played football for them and Saltley Schools,did athletics( 1/2 mile and shot put,learnt about gardening on our top field,and also was treasurer of the pig club ,we used to rear 8 pigs a year to help with school funds,went to Paris and Blankenberg in Belgium(the school funds helped.)  as I said I really did enjoy my schooling there.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »

I went to Whittington Oval, Timberley and then Alderlea. Can't remember a lot about the first 2 but I hated Alderlea, in fact I hated school full stop no matter what school I would have gone to.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:17 PM »

Lakey Lane School, wasn't too bad, went to a few others I between and Alderlea. Hated School, hardly went from first year seniors. 4pm on the last day of school was my best day at School ( I think I went on the last day!)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

Lakey Lane School, wasn't too bad, went to a few others I between and Alderlea. Hated School, hardly went from first year seniors. 4pm on the last day of school was my best day at School ( I think I went on the last day!)

Twm Sion What year did you go to Alderlea?
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »

Hi townie, 1968, didn't go that much though........
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »

Didn't attend too often it was in Chelmsley Wood Archbishop Grimshaw. We had nuns and priests as teachers they were very strict and didn't think twice wrapping a ruler over your knuckles. They were very cruel and seemed to get pleasure dishing out punishment. I once caught Sister Mary smirking as the ruler hit my knuckles and she seen the pain on my face.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

Didn't attend too often it was in Chelmsley Wood Archbishop Grimshaw. We had nuns and priests as teachers they were very strict and didn't think twice wrapping a ruler over your knuckles. They were very cruel and seemed to get pleasure dishing out punishment. I once caught Sister Mary smirking as the ruler hit my knuckles and she seen the pain on my face.

Did you live on Chelmsley Wood, or just attend the school? I lived on Chelmsley Wood from about 68 to 76
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »

Evening
I did all my school years at Loxton Street School
We all had a taste of the Wack. I think a system of numbers was used. We just took it and sat down.
One day Johny Lee had a sample and and his back end was glowing red. How did we know, Mr Hall went out of
the classroom and Johny dropped his trousers for all to see.
He went straight home and came back with his Mom armed with a stiff bristle yard broom.
Mr Hall turned white and tried to hide in a cupboard but Mrs Lee persisted till she got in some good shots on
his shoulders and back.
Before she left she told us all to fetch her if he ever started on any of us.
Rather strange he never did.
Loxton Street was a good school and turned out some good pupils who made good progress in life.
Happy days
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »

That's a great story Gerald, the Bristle broom was a favorite weapon of mom's back in the day  Grin. I can still see them now, charging in, usualy still wearing the wrap-around apron

Twm Sion
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »

Did you live on Chelmsley Wood, or just attend the school? I lived on Chelmsley Wood from about 68 to 76

Lived there from 1971 till 2001
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »

Hello Hattie
Was it getting rough when you lived there. Looked to be a place with a good future
but very quickly went down hill. Castle Bromwich and Water Orton paid a big price for that.
Gerald.
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »

To be honest it was lovely at first then it started going down probably in the 80s/90s it's always had a bad name, however I found most folks were the salt of the earth.
It was once the largest estate in Europe.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »

To be honest it was lovely at first then it started going down probably in the 80s/90s it's always had a bad name, however I found most folks were the salt of the earth.
It was once the largest estate in Europe.

It probably had the largest crime rate in Europe as well. Grin That's a bit off topic but no harm done.  Smiley
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »

Evening All
I think Birmingham City Council must have sent all the bad eggs.
I have written on other threads about the damage and destruction raids they carried out.
If something looked good it got smashed up.
There also good salt of the earth types in Chelmsley Wood.
A Happy Hookers group worked the shopping centre.
In Water Orton the gangs would attack the kiddies play area. Cut through swing seats till
just held together by a thread and the next child on fell to the floor. They would fix the
roundabout so that when children got on it would tip up.
We had a great group of adults that would patrol our village. Anything damaged we would
rope up. Not enough Police to be able to cope.
The use of a whip might have helped. I am not Catholic but one night a priest said
this will not stop till they feel real pain.
Water Orton was a great place to live.
The Head Teacher at the school On Chelmsley would ask the girl who was to have the cane. Do you want thick or thin.
Odd question.
Gerald.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:12:13 PM by GardenGerald » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: