BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
October 22, 2018, 02:46:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Foraging for food  (Read 117 times)
Twm Sion

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »

Any Foragers out there? Out in the country I'm noticing the ripening fruits, on the trees, in the hedges and on the ground. In my local wood there is a good crop of ripening Blackberries. Elderberries and Rowan berries. Hazel nuts are while off ripening. Perhaps another month or two.

We have Autumn to look forward to, apples, pears, plums and not forgetting to wonderful fungi that grows in the fields, woods and on the road side.

Looking out of the window now, I can see a Rowan Mountain Ash tree, laden with Scarlet berries. Perhaps I'll make some Rowan Berry jelly this weekend. Couple off pounds of berries boil them up with a pound of sugar, strain through muslin cloth, pour into jars and enjoy......

Have you got any good foraging recipes? Please post them for us all to share.

Twm Sion
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »

I hadn't deliberately gone out foraging today, more walking the dog. Came across a couple of lovely horse mushrooms. These will complement my omelette later this evening.

Picked a few green hazel nuts a few days ago, they are starting to turn brown and will be ready for Christmas. 

Twm
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »

And the mushrooms are still cropping. This is the best year for about 20 years. The ground is still warm from the hot summer, the heavy rain has helped too.

Walking through the forest today, the blackberries are ripe for picking. I shall go and pick some tomorrow. I won't  take many, I believe the wild fruit growing in the hedgerows and the forest is natures harvest and should be left for the animals.

Twm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: