BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
February 18, 2018, 05:06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KIDDERMINSTER  (Read 216 times)
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »

Tonight I have travelled to Kiddie, carpet centre of the Midlands
Interesting place and somewhere to have a mooch.
Also very well know for sugar production. At harvest time great convoys of vehicles
bringing in Sugar Beet. You would see stock piles almost as high as Lewis's.
At the end of the process the pulp was made into excellent animal food.
It is now on the cards to greatly increase the production of sugar in the UK.
Back on the bike.
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »

Passed through Kidderminster last Saturday, heading for Stone. Went to a machinery sale run by Halls Auctioneers. Plenty of bargains to be had. They also run a regular monthly sale at Madeley near Hereford. Nice journey there and back via Rhayader, Penybont, Knighton, Ludlow, Clee Hill then Kiddi.
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

Hello Twm
Used to come through Kidderminster when going to the Midlands and back. The old days before new roads were built.
Do you remember the sugar beet factory. Produced a great many tons of sugar till we joined the EU.
Have you been on the Seven Valley Railway or visited the Safari Park. We went in April when the animals were
frisky. The girls ( Over 60 ) passed out at the sight of the Elephants but loved the Giraffes.
Memories
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »

Hello Gerald, We used to travel Via Mortimer's Cross, Presteigne and join A44 at Walton in the old days. Not done the Severn Valley Railway, but will do one of the days.

Not done the Safari Park either. We passed the park and I had my old farmer mate in the van with me. He didn't know about the Safari park and was amazed it was there. I do remember when I was contracting in the early 70's passing that way when it opened. Do you remember the telly advert got it?
Twm
RonD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »

Twm , GG and Townie,

Are any of you three gentlemen familiar with Clent and the Hills?

I can remember back in the mid 60s driving out from Edgbaston along the Hagley Road west towards Hagley passing Quinton, Halesowen and.. can't remember the other places, until I eventually arrived in Clent.

Perhaps I was dreaming, but I remember a Pub located somewhere on the hill that had an adjoining brewery. The brewery provided the Pub with its beer which, I'm afraid to say, wasn't the best that I have ever tasted! Still, it was quite an unusual arrangement then.

Could it still be there? I cannot remember the name of the Pub unfortunately. It was a beautiful area and a nice escape from Birmingham in the Summer.

Reading about Kidderminster, brought back some more memories - this is great!

I used to go to a golf range in Bewdley - another lovely place a bit further on from Kidderminster. I was never that keen on golf but it was fun to aim at the poor bloke whose job it was to retrieve the golf balls. He would wiz around in a little go-cart protected by a metal mesh cover. He needed the mesh cover!

Ron
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »

Hello RonD. I know of Clent used to go there as a very little nipper, I would have been either on moms lap or in the back of the Child Adult sidecar. Brother who was 7 years older than me on the back of the BSA 1000 V Twin, ex AA patrol bike, hanging on to dad.

Bewdley was a regular haunt as I got older and so was Stourbridge and Stourport. I remember Sunday afternoon trips, we had a car then, we would head out to the riverside somewhere, flask and sandwiches. Funny thing is now I'm retired, I don't know if I've reverted back or regressed to flask and sandwiches on some trips out.

The only thing I didn't like about those trips out when I was 9 or 10 was that we had 'Sunday Best', never been a good dresser. But Sunday best, yuk!  Dad would 'grease my hair with liquid paraffin, Brylcreamor Brilliantine, hated it....

But you know, I would do anything to have dad back to make me wear my Sunday best.

Did you ever go to Worcester or Hampton Lode, River Severn

Best wishes Twm 

RonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »

Hello Twm,

I have not been to Worcester and I will have to look up Hampton Load.

There are so many areas in the UK that we have not been to or know a lot about. We always said that, on retirement, we would have to spend our holidays in the UK rather than abroad somewhere. I suppose that living quite close to Dover makes it easy to drive to France and other parts of Europe.

It is only in the last few years that we have spent some time in the Cotswolds for instance. I would like to see Herefordshire and Shropshire and the Welsh borders.

What part of Wales do you live in Twm? Was it an area where you had previously went on holiday?

Ron
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:11:13 PM »

Hello RonD
My heritage is Welsh. I spent a lot of time in South Wales as a nipper, a place called  Blaenllecau (look it up they have a public Facebook page) . Then we had holidays in Aberystwyth. As a kid the only place I wanted to be was out in the countryside and/or Aberystwyth.

As coming from a council house in Brum, hadn't a clue about buying property etc. So started looking. Couldn't get a mortgage as the places were tumble down. So I decided to look further a field. My location is near Llanidloes Powys. I bought an isolated derelict farm house in about 1981 and I have just finished rebuilding it.

It's not posh, it's home, I raised my family here and my son farms locally. I could not wish for anything else.

I have been down your way a few times. I worked in the south east (commuting) for a number of years. I have spent time in Deal, Kingsdown etc, lovely places.

There is some beautiful countryside between here and Brum. When I was working in the southeast. I would say to the guys, why you heading that way, when there is so much beautiful countryside in the Midlands and Wales.
Twm
RonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »

Your location sounds idyllic Twm.
Best wishes, Ron

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: