BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
October 22, 2018, 02:53:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Trains  (Read 2042 times)
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »

Hello
Here I am at Snow Hill about to get on the 7.00pm Pullman to Pddington.
I will be in London in about 2 hours and on the Tube to Russel Square.
A great comfortable journey.
What Memories.
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »

I used to travel out of Snow Hill for a change to London. I think i got off at Marylebone. It used to be less crowded than the west coast main line.

Have a good stay in London
Terrypin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »

My first train spotting was at Snowhill. A grey, drizzly day during the school holidays, bored and probably getting under everyone's feet. I was given some change (1d comes to mind?) and persuaded to get the tram to town and "collect train numbers". Or something along those lines.

Can't remember if I also made it to New Street that day or later, but anyway I know that got me started.

I don't have any photos of Snowhill. But here's one showing what my tram was like. This was taken at the Wylde Green terminius, probably early 50s, although I'd have got on at Erdington by the Post office.

Terrypin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:38 AM »

Here are another couple from the Bluebell Railway:

1. At Sheffield Park.

2. Night scene at Horsted Keynes.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

Hello Terry

I am testing the modify now with some spelling mistakes. Take you dog for a walk before bedtime.
Gerald.

Hello Terry
I will now try to correct mistakes.
It has worked and allowed me to correct mistakes.

Townie
Will you also have a look please...Many thanks...Gerald.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:45:36 PM by GardenGerald » Logged
Terrypin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »

Thanks Gerald, but how long did you allow between starting the original and clicking Send on the edited version? I think that even as little as ten minutes later I got this message preventing it.

I don't understand why there is any limit preventing an author from amending or deleting his or her own post. Typos and other errors or desirable changes can come to light at any time. But at least an hour should be allowed IMO.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »

My first train spotting was at Snowhill. A grey, drizzly day during the school holidays, bored and probably getting under everyone's feet. I was given some change (1d comes to mind?) and persuaded to get the tram to town and "collect train numbers". Or something along those lines.

Can't remember if I also made it to New Street that day or later, but anyway I know that got me started.

I don't have any photos of Snowhill. But here's one showing what my tram was like. This was taken at the Wylde Green terminius, probably early 50s, although I'd have got on at Erdington by the Post office.

I don't ever remember going on a tram. I can remember the tram lines in the street. I think there was a tram at the Science Museum. You could press a button and you would hear a recording of a tram travelling.
Twm
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »

Tam,you missed out,the thrill of going down the Bristol Rd dual carriageways on the front of an open fronted tra on the way to the Lickey hills,that was so fast.Today they would call it au some.
townie
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »

Edifi What year was you train spotting at Snow Hill? I'll see what I can come up with.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: