BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
July 20, 2018, 10:34:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT GAMES DID YOU PLAY WHEN YOU WERE A CHILD  (Read 617 times)
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »

What games did you play at school and after school.
Marbles, Football, Skipping.
We often used to join with the girls and all play together.
Safe to play in the street in those days.
Share your memories please and it will recall many happy days
for all of us.
Best wishes
Gerald.
nickcc
Spam Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »

Marbles were my favourite, unfortunately I was never very athletic and hated cross country running and running round the School playing field.  I used to visit our local playing fields in Perry Barr with my mates and play cricket, even tennis with my older Sister.  I quite liked exercising on the paddle boats but that used up my pocket money and ended up with blisters Smiley

Nick
Hattie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »

Knock door run
Conkers
Hide and seek
Tracking
Hop scotch
Skipping
townie
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »

Football, Cricket, tracking, British Bulldog, Marbles, Crab Football, some board games.
Ayotte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

I played a lot of football when I was a kid and quite a bit of table tennis. We had a tennis table in the garage so every time I've had friends over, we usually played that.
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »

Hello Ayotte
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to post on any threads and create New Topics.
If you need any help just ask.
Did you play Badmington at all.
Best wishes
Gerald.
townie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »

Hi Ayotte Welcome to our new and friendly forum please introduce yourself.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »

Marbles or Marlies. I moved aroand Brum quite a lot and I found that in different areas the game of marlies was slightly different. In the Hall Green area we would play for prizes. This is how it went. Boy would sit down back leaning against a fence, wall or something, legs open and in the crook of his legs something would be placed as the prize. Say a solder, gift from cornflakes packet, a penny, or threepenny bit, a ball bearing or 'steely' a Gobby large marble there we two sizes in the Gobby from what I remember, the large and something in between the standard marble and the Gobby, there were also marbles made out of coloured glass, these were a good prize.

How to get the prize. The boy trying to win the prize would stand directly in front of the boy sitting and aim marbles at the prize, if you hit the prize you won it and you got your marbles back into the bargain. If you missed the prize and used all your marbles you lost the lot!

In the Kings Norton area they played by just rolling the marble across the floor, the next boy would try to hit the first marble by rolling it at the first marble, if you hit the marble you won it. This game wasn't as much fun as playing for prizes.

We also played Hide and Seek, Hop-Scotch, skipping and French Skipping.  True, dare, double dare, kiss or promise. Knock and Run in some areas this was called Thunder and Lightning. I was useless at most games especially if it it needed good balance or hand eye coordination......       
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »

What about kick the can and tip cat all great fun,and my dad used to make me balsa wood model planes from the Hobby shop in the Bull Ring on the corner of Moor St
townie
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:15:37 PM »

What about kick the can and tip cat all great fun,and my dad used to make me balsa wood model planes from the Hobby shop in the Bull Ring on the corner of Moor St

Edifi I have no idea what tip cat is. We used to buy our balsa wood model planes from a shop at the Pelham, and fly them over the cow fields great fun.   
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »

Those planes were great, didn't stand many crashes though....

Not heard of Tip the cat either

Twn Sion
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »

Tip Cat was played with a bat or piece of wood for the bat,and small piece of wood pointed at each end.You would put the pointed wood on the ground an hit it at one end,this caused it to spin up in the air and you would hit it with the bat and run round the 4 markers you placed in the street,it was like rounders but without a ball.
townie
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »

Tip Cat was played with a bat or piece of wood for the bat,and small piece of wood pointed at each end.You would put the pointed wood on the ground an hit it at one end,this caused it to spin up in the air and you would hit it with the bat and run round the 4 markers you placed in the street,it was like rounders but without a ball.

Never heard of it Edifi. Wasn't it a bit dangerous with wooden spikes coming at you?
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »

Hello Boys
We soon gave up on tip cat. It really hurt if it hit you in he face,
What about the Mokes we used to make. 4 pram wheels and a plank of wood.
Have you all forgot pinch the cat.
Take care
Gerald.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:11:06 PM by GardenGerald » Logged
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »

Townie
Was there a shop called Hobbies that sold all sorts of kits to make up trains and planes and lots more.
Gerald.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: