BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 13, 2017, 03:09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: IN YOUR GARDEN  (Read 1360 times)
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

Todays Question

What sort or type of Fruit is a Strawberry

Answers please.

Gerald.
they be runners Smiley

Nick
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

Hello Nick
We had some leave their running spikes behind last year.
Trouble was they were too small for me.
Gerald.
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »

What jobs have you done in the garden today. I have taken some
Grape vine cuttings. Anyone can grow Grapes up to a line across from
North Wales. So that's Stafford, Leicester, Lincolnshire and parts of Chester.
Horses for courses, the right variety for your area. Have a bash. Want
more help send me a private note.
Gerald.
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

Taking down old hedging full of brambles etc.  Unfortunately about 8 ft tall by 40 ft long so not a pleasant job especially taking the rubbish to the tip.  Replacing with 6ft panels where my Wife will plant tall shrubs to hide Smiley

Nick
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

Hello Nick and Mrs Nick
Do not waste the the space against the panels, make it into a mini fruit garden.
Dwarf fruit trees, remove back growth and breast growth (thats the growth coming forward).
You will now have flat growth against boards but will be very productive with quality fruit. When planted pull side branches slightly down, this will improve size and number of real quality fruit. Do this with Apple, pear, Plum and  Cherries, In between trees plant some Gooseberries and  Currants of all colours, some Blackberries and
Vines that fruit and also have colourful foliage.
Now how does that grab you both.
When you go to a show and you think why do my fruits not look as good as these. Its the way you grow them.
You have now got the Grow How so what are you waiting for.
Best wishes and be successful. I will want to see some pictures.
Gerald.
Langstraat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »

Some would say the 1st of March heralds the first day of Spring. I personally use the equinox date but that's no matter. Last week I even heard a lawn mower clear its throat after being in hibernation.
I've not been able to play out in the garden for months but that's not stopped by neighbour from braving the weather and generally causing havoc to my spring collection of spring bulbs and climbers: Ivies, clematis and a vine.
The boundary between us is a Leylandii hedge which is about 30 years old and is annually trimmed to about 7' high. My neighbour is building a large rear extension to his house and asked whether I would mind if he were to remove his side of the double thickness Leylandii to build a 6' boundary wall. Like a shot I said that if he were to remove his side and build a wall then obviously my hedge would be redundant and I would remove it. Originally I had 120+ Leylandii, a run of 75 to the left side and the remainder divided into groups of 10 to the front and right hand side. Over the years I've removed several and replaced them with 6'x6' feather board panels. Two weeks ago my neighbour started the cull. 60 Leylandii (30 from each side were removed) The trench was dug and the foundations poured. I asked for the soil from the trench to be piled onto my side and now have about 5 tonnes of 'black gold' covering my adjoining flower bed with it's perennials and bulbs beneath. The advantages of this extra soil will optimistically give me a blank canvas to start again when time permits and my present indoors decorating ceases.
 Some of the soil is already ear marked to use to level out several hollows in the lawn, the rest will be spread about the borders by wheel barrow. The patio area closest to the house had established clematis, Ivies and a vine. All have been cut back and trampled on to ground level for the purpose of the Mini Trump wall. Time will tell which or what will survive but as they say ' No gain without pain eh?'
The wall has been finished today with the brick piers and capping to do next. I've gained about 2 foot in width after the removal of my 30 Leylandii and effectively reduced my three day long annual trim by 30%.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:39:23 PM by Langstraat » Logged

Half the people I know are below average.

Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »

Hello Langy
What are you planning to do with your garden now, lets know.

Hello Everyone.
What birds have you seen in your garden during the last week, that's one for you to answer Chessy

Take care
Gerald.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »

Perhaps ( chessy ) has seen 1 or 2 Cuckoos in the garden.
Langstraat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »

re.
Hello Langy

Well,
I'm still indoors at present decorating so the garden has been neglected for a while. I have a lawn maintenance plan and the first visit of the season is in two weeks time. With a bit of luck and a few days without rain I'd like to cut areas of the lawn quite short and then top dress with the newly acquired soil. It'll mean that there will be a checker board lawn for a few weeks until the grass manages to push through but I have got plenty to do with the flower beds and borders. As mentioned before I'll wait and see which or what perennials have survived before taking a trip to the garden centre and emptying my pockets as I replant.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:42:16 AM by Langstraat » Logged

nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »

Have been cutting the lawns all through the winter at least once a month.  Unfortunately our dog won't go to the loo if the grass is too long as it must tickle her bits and bobs.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »

re.
Hello Langy

Well,
I'm still indoors at present decorating so the garden has been neglected for a while. I have a lawn maintenance plan and the first visit of the season is in two weeks time. Wiith a bit of luck and a few days without rain is like to cut areas of the lawn quite short and then top dress with the newly acquired soil. It'll mean that there will be a checker board lawn for a few weeks until the grass manages to push through but I have got plenty to do with the flower beds and borders. As mentioned before I'll wait and see which or what perennials have survived before taking a trip to the garden centre and emptying with pockets as I replant.

Just put me right on this forum. I read that Langstraat posted this and then replied. Langstraat I think I remember you from another forum but at the moment it escapes me but it will come back.
Langstraat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »

"Just put me right on this forum.
Langstraat I think I remember you from another Forum"

Townie,

We've both been on a few together.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:46:09 PM by Langstraat » Logged

Langstraat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »

Well today I've managed a day in the garden. The indoor work has been put back another week because the decorators have given back-word and cannot start until the week after next. At least that's taken the pressure off me to clear the room and drain the central heating system to remove the radiator.

The sun made its appearance to this cold damp clime this morning and after filling and shifting 5 barrow loads of the soil my neighbour has deposited on my flower beds I gave up and popped to Aldi. I bought an Electric Tiller to break up the soil and make it lighter to shift and rake over. What a delightful piece of kit. Although it's quite small the motor is very strong and provided a healthy tilth without effort. It was much easier to relocated the soil afterwards and the area beneath the wall where the brickies had trodden has now been  aerated and raked over. There's still a lot to do but at least I've made a start. My neighbour has continued to erect the brick piers and wall is now ready for capping.
This afternoon I awoke the lawnmower and cut and tidied up the lawn so that I could at least see where the hollow areas are, these will be topped dressed and levelled with some of the bonus soil next week weather permitting.

GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »

Hello Langy
You have a fantastic canvas to create a stunning garden. Do not waste it.
Best wishes
Gerald.
Langstraat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »

Hello Langy
You have a fantastic canvas to create a stunning garden. Do not waste it.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Thank Q Gerald, if the weather is okay tomorrow I'll take a photo from a bedroom window to give you a better idea/ view of the flower bed from above.
Presently wrapped up warm looking at plant catologues to gain inspiration

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: