BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Son of Brum !~!  (Read 1462 times)
WilkesWorld

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:08 AM »

I would just like to introduce myself. I am John Wilkes son of Arthur Thomas Wilkes of Aston (well off Summer Lane really)

My father Arthur was born June 10th 1920 on St Georges St ("back of" down the entry). The street had a pub each end. The Carpenters and The Birmingham Arms. I was there in 1988 or so and the only recognisable structures were the old baths and the remains of The Coop with its yard. I went into the old baths and you could still see the outline of where the pipes ran along the ceiling. There were however still some lamp post still there and I conjured up a mental image of my father (with his arse hanging out of his trousers) and friends swinging from a rope tied to the top.

It is nice to introduce myself as a one generation later "native" of the area.

His grandfather was William Charles John Wilkes (died in Ladywood in 1935 aged 45) he worked as a driver at the brewery and my Grandmother was Selina Cattle (remarried as a Bushell). Whole family of boozers. It was a hard life. I have more information to follow as it was a big family.

John Wilkes
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »

Welcome John.

Nick
WilkesWorld

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:58:38 PM »

Thanks Nick !

Will add a few more names and thoughts at the weekend !
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »

Hello John

I lived in Perry Barr next to Perry Hall playing fields but left in 1975 for the Noth East.  Only visited Perry Barr once since then but still have happy memories of my 30 years living there.

Nick
Telstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »

Welcome John .... I was born in Balsall Heath and moved to Nechells in 1961 - 1974 - then to Ward End, where I left in 1978 for Dublin, Ireland.

I now live beside the river Shannon where I am presently nursing a hangover from hell after the St Patrick's Day celebrations yesterday ....

The truth always prevails ....
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »

Serves you right, says me sitting here stone cold sober.  Doing the weekly shop tomorrow so bad head day Friday Smiley

Nick
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: