BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper boy and other stories  (Read 1546 times)
Kandor

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »

When I was 13 I had a paper round.
It was for Harborne's which was at the bottom of Revesby Walk.
Although I only had 29 papers to deliver, the round covered High Tower, Queens, Home and the maisonettes.
Unfortunately for me, I also had ONE paper to deliver at 106 Inkerman St.

It was in Inkerman St, not far from the Brittania Pub that this bloody dog (who could have been a stunt double for my mother in law) used to live.
And lie in wait.
For me.

Without fail every morning, this dog used to rush down the entry as he heard the paper being pushed through the door and he would snap at my bag and ankles.
After losing up to 97 gallons of blood one Sunday morning, I decided enough was enough.

So I began carrying a 2ft long stick.
Whether this satanic dog was telepathic I don't know, but every time I carried the stick with me, the evil pooch was nowhere to be seen.

The very first time I forgot the bugger there he was again and there was another 83 gallons of my blood soon decorating the pavement.
Yet as soon as I put my stick back in my bag...
Nothing.
Zilch.
Nada.
So I came up with a cunning plan.

I got hold of a giant metal nut and I tied it on a 3ft piece of string.
The idea was, as the pooch of the Baskervilles came at me, I would swing the metal nut in a big arc, whack the dog on the nose then kick him to death with my hob nail Wellies and hopefully smother him to death with my paper bag.

He fell neatly into my trap.

As my nemesis came flying down the entry, I unloaded my metal nut just like a giant (but deadly Conker) swung it in a giant arc and halfway through the swing, it hit the side of the entry wall and came crashing down onto my own head.
I staggered to the floor on my hands and knees, blood gushing from a 1 inch cut just above my ear..
And it was then that BASTARD dog bit me on the leg and bum again.
All this for a 1 a week.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »

I had a paper round once at the age of 13 and loved it. All round Shard End I can see the round now every house. One Christmas I made a fortune in tips well about a few quid.This one day we went scrumping at one of the houses I used to deliver. My Mon had just brought me a really nice denim shirt loved it. Me being clever jumped over the fence and you guest it RIP. a big L shaped rip a great shirt for a poxy apple cant remember if I eat it. But what great days we had when we were young..   
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:32:37 AM »

Another paper boy here.  Only did the evenings and Sunday's when we also had to go back and collect the paper money, not really a good move by the paper shop.  Worked for Townsend and  Dennet next door to the Tennis Courts pub on the Walsall road, used my bike except Sunday's when the Observer and Sunday times had so many pages that your bag was too heavy.

Nick
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »

I had a paper round in Smethwick out every morn 6 oo am and again at 4 30pm straight from school finish at 6 00pm seven days a week .Sunday was a pain so heavy to carry all for seven and sixpence a week and had to collect all money's on sat morn after delivering my papers .This was 1950 I was thirteen ,life was hard when I finished I just had time to get home walk out as soon as I got in with a piece of beef dripping and run for the bus for school if I missed it I had four miles to run to school
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

Welcome Brian.  Even though my Mother encouraged me to have a paper round she wasn't best pleased when my shoes needed replacing.  We used to go in to town to Millets where the new Tuff shoes were stocked, after the first pair had worn out after three months we were supplied a second pair free under the six months guarantee.  Unfortunately I believed that the second pair also came with a six month guarantee so thought we would receive endless pairs of free Tuff shoes, bitterly disappointed when they refused to give me another free pair three months later.

Nick
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: