BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:33:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Birmingham  (Read 2512 times)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

I know this may seem selfish but I joined this forum because it said Birmingham and Suburbs history. All I am interested in is old Birmingham memories. What we did as kids and what it was like growing up in the early years  Sorry to be a Kiljoy. 
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

Morning All
Hello Townie
Did you ever go scrumping for food around the gardens and allotment sites. We used to hunt in threes. 2 lookouts and one filling the pockets with whatever we could get.
Good apples at Bordesley Green, super plums at Burney Lane and nice lettuces at Church Walk. Yes thats right we would even get a lettuce. I am sure we all have good memories about Birmingham and suburbs.
Lets get everyone making new posts.
Best of luck...Gerald
Garden Gerald.
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:46:42 PM »

Somethings I've always disliked, lettuce and radishes.  My Sister always insisted we had salads whenever my Mother and I visited, lettuce and radishes were always sat there looking at me Smiley

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »

Gerald I was always scrumping as a kid. I remember one evening scrumping in Shard end. My mom had just brought me a lovely denim shirt it lasted one night cut on the barb wire.
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »

Only time I went scrumping was during one of our regular visits to Manchester to visit family.  One of my Grandmothers neighbors had a apple tree so my Sister and I decided we'd try a few, turned out to be crab apples so never bothered again.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:53:29 PM »

I posted this in 2014 so I know I haven't lost it yet. reply 3

I had a paper round once at the age of 13 and loved it. All round Shard End I can see the round now every house. One Christmas I made a fortune in tips well about a few quid. This one day we went scrumping at one of the houses I used to deliver. My Mon had just brought me a really nice denim shirt loved it. Me being clever jumped over the fence and you guest it RIP. a big L shaped rip a great shirt for a poxy apple cant remember if I eat it. But what great days we had when we were young..    
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:30:50 AM »

I have posted a few photos of Snow Hill station, take a look under steam trains, A great station abandoned. 
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

Aftrnoon All
Hello Townie
I have spent the last three hours walking round Birmingham looking for Snow Hill station to get the Pullman train to Paddington but its not running today.
Catch you later after I have had an afternoon nap
Gerald
Garden Gerald.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

Gerald if you go to (Steam trains around the midlands) the Pullman is running today and its waiting for you. Don't forget your sandwiches.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: