BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old pubs of Birmingham  (Read 9824 times)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:35 PM »

nickcc Don't get your hopes up. This is a story that goes back to the early 60s. We had a dog can't remember his name, lovely dog but kept running away from home, bit like me. This time it was winter of early 60s he had gone again. Now the story starts My dad used to play dominos for the Harlequin it was a Wednesday because that was dominos night. The Harlequin was playing at the Toby snow was on the ground and it was freezing. There were no buses to the Toby from where I lived and my dad didn't drive. About 9 o'clock my dad walked in with this dog that looked like it had been pulled through a hedge backwards. This dog had someway found his way into the Toby and my dad recognised it and brought it home. Not forgetting it was about 45 mins walk and it was snowing and freezing. My dad liked cats not dogs. Cant remember if he ever walked back to the Toby.               
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »

I can remember going out one Boxing Day looking for party 7 beer as we had run out, my Mother in Law always provided the party for the whole family and we all took plates of food, great fun as we lived in Durham at the time.

Nick
Broma25

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »

My dad used to drink in a pub called the Vulcan and the Horse and Jockey, both in Hockley I believe in the 50's and early 60's
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »

Broma 25 The Vulcan Inn in Aston was on the south east corner of the junction of New John St West and Hospital St. The Horse & Jockey was on the north west corner of junction of Bridge St West & Wheeler St.  
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »

If anyone wants to see a photo of their old drinking hole I will try and source it for you. Birmingham
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: