BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 13, 2017, 03:14:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Old pubs of Birmingham  (Read 9817 times)
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »

There was lots and lots of pubs in Birmingham at one time, but sadly most of them have gone to the bulldozer or Chinese. Indian or other.
Can you name the ones you remember where they were?   
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »

The two I remember were the Tennis courts on the Walsall road perry Barr and The Stockland at Stockland green which I believe is to reopen as a pub.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »

Two pubs I remember from my roller skating days were the Summerhill Tavern and The Stores. Both opposite the Roller rink. 
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »

I used to love roller skating especially on the skates that you strapped to your shoes and made a right pain of yourself with the neighbours Smiley. My Sister took me Ice skating once and I have to admit that I was totally useless, spent the whole time with the skates at 90 degrees and me holding on to anything or anyone I could find.  I tried the rubber wheeled skates but found that every pebble on the pavement resulted in me hitting the nearest tree, yes we had trees in our grove in those days Smiley

Nick
Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »

Trees? you HAD trees? talk about moneybags!

I never even knew what a tree was until I left Nechells, I thought they were giant pencils.
I mean, if you're going to come on here flaunting your wealth..

And as for Roller Skates, you rarely found a pair of wellies that would fit inside them,
We were REAL men in Nechells, we made Go-karts and nail guns, we made slate tomahawks and nail tipped arrows and bows.

We had to, otherwise the rent man knocked our door for money.
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

Now if you want to talk about go carts.  We made one but the wheels kept falling off so I decided to pinch the wheels and axles off my sisters large dolls pram, couldn't sit down for a few days after she went running off to my Mother, soon had to give them back.  We also never had brakes so, once again, the trees came in handy Smiley

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »

The other Sunday I decided to have a walk around old Digbeth. Bradford Street Rea Street and Cheapside. The Queens Arms is still standing but only just all boarded up. So I thought I would see if one of my old haunts was still standing.The Moseley Arms. When I got to the top of Bradford Street and turned right I was happy to see it still there and open. Once inside my happiness turned to sadness. It had been changed beyond  recognition, Although the owners had done a fantastic job it just wasn't the same for me.   
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

We have five pubs in our town centre and Wetherspoons have just got permission to open another one, unfortunately, in my opinion, the older places are just about one step up from the sawdust on the floor era but who wants the ultra modern Wetherspoons style.  The out of town pubs we used to visit were the nice country pub style, unfortunately the locals looked at you as if you had two heads and woe betide if you were sat in their seats when they arrived.  I have to admit that drink driving in those days was accepted as part of life and manys the time, especially when driving home from the Belfry, I would have been well over the current drink drive limit, something I might add that I haven't done for many years.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »

nickcc As you say I also remember going into pubs and someone saying you cant sit there its Charlie's seat or who ever even though he wasn't in the pub. Fancy remembering that
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 07:48:09 PM »

Trees? you HAD trees? talk about moneybags!

I never even knew what a tree was until I left Nechells, I thought they were giant pencils.
I mean, if you're going to come on here flaunting your wealth..

And as for Roller Skates, you rarely found a pair of wellies that would fit inside them,
We were REAL men in Nechells, we made Go-karts and nail guns, we made slate tomahawks and nail tipped arrows and bows.

We had to, otherwise the rent man knocked our door for money.

Kandor No wonder everybody moved out of Nechells. 
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:21 AM »

I remember a chemical company based in Nechells called Brothertons (I think).  Had to visit their site one day as one of their vehicles was defective, I've never been to such a contaminated site before or after and the smell was atrocious, how the residents must have suffered.  This would have been in the early sixties well before most people thought about the environment let alone Health and Safety.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »

Coming from Shard End my locals were The Harlequin, Timberley, Packhorse, Two Hands, Coach and Horses, Cheshire Cat, Trident. All gone but one. I may have posted this on another thread but it won't hurt.     
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »

My Father in laws favourite pubs were the hole in the wall in town and the Toby on the Chester road.

Nick
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

The Hole in the wall. I know I have been in there, but cant remember where it was. Was it Dale end? As for the Toby Jug that is still going I have been told. I got a story about the Toby Jug if you would be interested. 
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »

Yes Hole in the Wall was there, we had our wedding reception drink on the way home from the Register office on Boxing Day in 1970 and yes we are still married Smiley

Right now tell me more about the Toby Smiley.  Have to be honest and say I only ever went there on Boxing Day as it was always a family get together when the men visited the pub at lunch time and the women prepared the food.  Soon changed as my Wife didn't agree with this totally sexist system Smiley

Nick
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: