BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
January 21, 2018, 12:57:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishing clubs of the 50's, 60's 70's  (Read 60 times)
Twm Sion

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »

Between the 50's and 70's there were many fishing clubs in Birmingham. These fishing clubs were set up in the Factories and Pubs with good membership numbers. Throughout the season, there would be many contests on the Rivers and Canals in and around Brum. At the end of the season there would be a Dinner and Dance for members and Wives

Some of my family were members of the Bakelite Fishing club and the Greenwood Tree Pub Fishing Club.

What are your memories of these fishing clubs? What club were you in? Where did you fish? Where was a good fishing spot back in the day? What bait would you use to catch particular fish. Did you win any contests? Any stories of anyone cheating or bending the rules a bit?

My earliest memories of the fishing trips as a nipper in the 50's was being dragged out of bed in the dark, thrown in the sidecar or later the back of the van and a long walk when we got to the other end.

Sitting on the bank, bored, freezing and told to be quiet because I would scare the fish and a clip around the ear if I made a noise. Dad was worried about me falling in the river (so he said!), I had a rope around my waist which was tied to a tree, with a short length of rope for me to move but keep out of trouble.         

Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »

TWM,never got into fishing really,only fishing I did was in the Blythe at Coleshill with a Minnow Bottle,catching sticklebacks  minnows and the occasional crayfish, all of this in the early 50s.Tried it once off the pier at Torquay ,caught nothing all Day.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »

Edifi, I did a bit on the Blyth with a rod though. Caught a few minnows and gudgeon. We would cycle from Chelmsley Wood.

Twm
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »

Never been into fishing although when we were young we used to go over the cow fields and catch sticklebacks and Newts.
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »

Great memory's  of the Blythe with the tea hut by the gate ,and paddling in the stream Oh great days in my youth.Bring them back.
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »

Edmund and Co
Despite everything we had great childhoods.
I used to go and fish in the Cole and further on the Anchor. Ward End Park and the Rezza at Spag Junction were another 2 places.Worcester Canal at Stoke works, five mile stretch at Wychbold and Blackpole. The River Salwarpe in Claines. The Severn and Avon.
Thought my number was up at Fladbury on the Avon. A collection of us are fishing quietly when suddenly a wall of water about 4 foot high came down the river. We beat Bannisters 4 minute mile. It was the result of a freak storm up river.
Done a bit of sea fishing and had 1 or 2 Dog fish. Never had any fish in the bigger rivers in Pembrokeshire but quite a few Trout in the smaller ones.
Wish my legs were better but I am still breathing and hope to continue for many years to come.
Best wishes
Gerald
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »

Anyone ever fish at Earlswood lakes? I can remember fishing there in the freezing cold, never caught much though.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »

Anyone ever fish at Earlswood lakes? I can remember fishing there in the freezing cold, never caught much though.

Apart from a cold though  Grin
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

Apart from a cold though  Grin

Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: