BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
April 19, 2018, 01:40:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marsh&Baxters Dale End,  (Read 202 times)
Edifi

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »

Does anyone remember M&Bin Dale End.My mother worked there before and after the war,the I started. In the garage in 1955 as an apprentice Mechanic.They were good days old Walter Marsh would arrive in his Rolls at 8 o'clock every morning and come and say good  morning to use without fail,and at Xmas would give us a box with a pound of bacon a pound of sausage a pound pork pie and a pound note,all for keeping the vans that delivered in good working order.Dont think they would do it now .
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »

Hello Ed
I remember Marsh and Baxters well. Their bags of Pork Bones kept us going during the war. When Castle Vale was built they
were one of the first shops to open. We used to buy half a pig and put it in the freezer. The butcher would ask how we wanted it
cut up and I would go and pay and collect it.
They moved their butchery factory to Castle Vale. Is it still there.
Do you remember Mrs Griffiths having a Marsh and Baxters shop in Duddeston Mill Road. She had a round Chopping Block. Her
Son was John and he went to the same school as us but I never saw him after we left school.
Sadly their were a lot of friends I never saw again because that was when we all got moved and lost our community.
Many. many happy days in Vauxhall. Must rush and get on the train to town.
Gerald.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »

Hello Edifi
I don't remember the one in Dale End but did do some work at marshes and I am sure it was Castle Brom past Fox and Goose. I remember the guys jointing the carcasses. The other Marshes was also that direction but near the collector Rd. They were slaughtering pigs. I hated seeing them being unloaded and sqealing as they went to be slaughtered. Later became FMC. There was a well known garage not far away, may have been Clock Garage?
Twn Sion
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »

TWM SION,we moved from Dale End to C B in late 50 s early 60s down the side road by the motorway,brand new garage all the latest equipment , staid there till 1965 but needed more money to by a house.Got used to hearing the pigs squealing,we were taken over by Harris Of Calne Wiltshire then FMC bought them out ,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: