BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 13, 2017, 03:24:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodcock St baths  (Read 1330 times)
Kandor
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »

To my lasting shame I didn't learn to swim until I was 12 years old,
I can remember Mr Wells would take us up to Woodcock St baths and because I was scared of the water I used to hide in the changing room and wait until the lesson was finished, my friend Alan used to hand me his wet trunks and I'd rub them on my hair so it appeared damp and as though I'd actually been in the water.

It was another friend called John Chapman who actually taught me how to swim, I guess for me, Mr Wells didn't quite cut the mustard as a swimming coach, but then, why should he?...he was a Music Teacher.
I picked it up pretty fast and found, without being bigheaded, I was a very good swimmer indeed, I could dive all the boards including top and swim around in any depth of water.

I do remember Woodcock St baths during the Summer holidays however,
They used to do a thing called 'Sessions' then, I cant remember now but I think it lasted about an hour.
I used to scrounge the money off my Mom to go, I did this by sulking and moping around, (well, just being me really!)
Sessions was mayhem..I tell you now you could dive into the water and just bounce of the bodies and come up dry on the other side..it was just like diving into a crowd at a Rock Concert...

I go home and Mom would say, 'I thought you were going swimming?'
'I did Mom' whack! 'dont you fib to me you little swine..' How could I tell her that an hour session at Woodcock St baths at the hight of the summer holidays often meant you never actually touched any water? But you just got to rub your body up against the other scruffy, screaming little schoolkids.
I was poor then, but...(sniff) I was happy.
Modmossy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »

Les i won three medals in one night at Woodcock street baths at the catholic schools gala,indavidual,relay, and diving in 1962

We also went on Sunday morning when we lived in Nechells do you remember the Riggys they used to go there we had a great time them....happy days

Mossy

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink
Kandor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:16:22 AM »

Hello Mossy, yes I do remember the Riggy's well, Billy was one of the finest men I have ever known, taken from all far too early and always a laughing genial man.
John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:47:39 AM »

Where was Woodcock St baths.? I remember the name so well, I remember an area around Duke St police station, ( walked past never been in side), then there was a youth club ( large building with a flat roof and chicken wire around the top to stop us throwing people off I surpose) off the main Rd I could walk down a street on the right was a pub down a little more then there was a bombed site the pub was on a corner of another small Rd, as you walked along there was a high wall, ( I onced looked over it and saw there was a drop of about 20ft or more, ) not the best place to jump over, further along the road spilt and in the centre was a small restarunt ( very nice ), well it was back then when I was 12 years old, I have so many pictures in my mind but they are hard to place together, does anyone know or remember a youth club that had the inside made into a old gallon with ropes and maps ( made out of plaster of paris on the walls), ropes and rails it was run by the birmingham education department, and was just a youth club.....J2  ( my swiss cheese ant what it used tobe ) Wink

Sex is like air...it's not that important unless you arn't getting any....
Cromwell
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 07:36:28 AM »

John it was one of the roads leading off Gosta Green
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »

Hello Kandor
What school did you go to.
Lots of history around Duke Street and Woodcock Street.
I learned to swim at Wodcock Street and jump into the water.
Very brave thing for me to do.
The Mounted Police had horses stabled in Duke Street and
they would be ridden to Castle Bromwich for exercise. The
School Clinic was not far away.
Lets be hearing from you all.
Gerald.
Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Hello Gerald, I began at Cromwell St, Junior and Infants, that was late 56 until 1963.
From there I went to Loxton St, (63/64) Duddeston Manor from September 64 until 67 when I left school to begin work as an Apprentice Plumber.
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »

Kandor What refreshing news you are not climbing a tree not, running amok in the garden.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: