BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 13, 2017, 03:24:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham Clearances  (Read 3316 times)
Holly

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »

I am non-to sure when these began i can only guess that it must have been around 1930 they started to spread to Erdington, Great Barr, and other surrounding areas Nice new homes, Bedrooms not one but three, lavatories, coal houses, a copper boiler and a bath. It must have been heaven although people were still poor and needy, it was a new clean home which belongd to them. I must not forget, also a little garden for the chickens the pigeons and garden produce.
But i did hear stories about people burning their floor boards and wooden doors to keep warm in the winter, not forgetting the coal in the bath. Does any-one know if this was true.?...Holly
John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »

Holly, I've heard of furniture was pulled apart and burnt, I was told that Harborne where kippers and curtains, ( nice houses, but nothing to eat,), so it could have been true.J2

Sex is like air...it's not that important unless you arn't getting any....
Holly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »

If i remember correctly, i recall some-one coming round selling firewood. Wonder where he got it from Roll Eyes
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »

1930 Would have been around the time of the depression -The man selling firewood - desprate people desprate times
John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »

Beryl....I think you find it was just after the wars ( both), when I was little ( 7-8 years old ) I used to help an old guy who had a small yard, where he had a machine that cut wood, he also had a cople of women working there too, and my job was to stack the fire wood that was in bundles into sacs, it was across the road from the Luxor cinema, next to the River Rea in Balsall Heath Rd,.. ( that was long time ago,)..J2

Holly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

That's something interesting and new to know J2, enterprise i like it.
John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »

Holly, the bungles where made up of 10-12 sticks about 6inches long and bound together with wire. cost 2 - 3pence, ( old money) a bungle. another little money earner was rugs,  my mom would cut up old coats skirts jumpers all different colours, she would cut open a brown jute sac, and then wheave the coloured strips into/onto the sac, I think she made one a week, ( when she could find the materials ),she made some nice pattens with the bits, ( funny, but I can still see her making them) and that was over 60 years ago,...J2

Holly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »

Happy memories J2.   Women made so many things years ago, most could make something out of nothing so to speak. Needlework was one of the things that most of them learn't at home or at school if they were lucky enough to go to school some poor things had to work.
Holly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »

House clearances,.... Did They move a street at a time or was there a selection process, ( on the amont of children) a points acheme, or something else,
My grandparents, my parents and my Aunt all lived within a few doors of each other in The Ridgeway. But, they did not all live together in Aston...Holly
Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:50 AM »

Quite a lot of the houses built in the 1930s did have clearance families living
there ,  funnily enough tho the houses they got sat inside a ring of "posh"
homes that people like my Mum and Dad bought in 1946..However in the 50s
a lot of the homes got done up and offered to the tenants to buy,some did
others could,nt afford them..Great Barr was considered "rather oolala" yet a
 lot of the families had a struggle to keep up with rates/morgage etc.
 We I suppose where lucky cos Mum had sold the shop and the funds for
a good deposit was available..it was a three bedroom house with all the usual
things lounge B/room etc, and then cost the enormous sum of 500 pounds,
which was a lot of money but Dad had a good job and was in their reach.Mum died in 1990 and this house went for 62 thousand pounds..It now has a family
of Indian people there, or did have 2000.   Yes I got my share of the loot Lips sealed

John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »

It's been years since I was last in Brum, but I've been told if you have a large family, wife/her mother/father, brother/sister/their children, the bread winners mother/father/brother/sister/ your children/ their children, then you can get a large house, which will be subserdised ( spelt wrong),
If youre a single mother, or just married and there is just the two of you, then you could live with your parents till you have plenty of points, you may get a small flat.. but dont hold your breath..J2

Holly

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

In answer to both Jasper and John,
It was the start of the clearances which i was interested in and wondered were the idea of the points system came into being.

Some years ago, so i was told, the council offered people with three bedroomed houses 5,000 if they would move into flats which had been newly built or renevated to allow larger families to move into their homes.

I was born in The Ridgeway, which was what you would call middle class what ever that may mean.
It was very quiet and peaceful although there was a road which ran it's whole length. Much quieter at the front of the house because it was opposite the cemetery. The backs of the houses looked over the allotments and then fields which would be filled with lupins during the summer months where we would play with gay abandon and the fields lead down to the lakes. (Witton lakes) where we had more fun and frolics, This is where i first learn't to row.

There is now a system were as they have colours as well as points gold, yellow,silver and bronze,
The more precious you are the higher up the tree you go on the points system.
With regard to those who are impaired in some way mentally or physically or are in need of desperate accommodation they go way up the tree. Others have to fit the criteria in other ways.
With regard to young girls, some years ago if they got pregnant they were offered a flat or house straight away.
Once a child or younger member of a family leaves home it is important that they understand the implications of living alone and that, for them it, cannot be Party time every night. Mores the pity.
Of course if you are a father with 20 or more children and maybe a couple of wives as well you can have a very large house or two houses knocked into one...Holly
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: