BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cromwell Street Nechells  (Read 6902 times)
Cromwell
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:17:20 AM »

Our family reunion was a great success and I was amazed at the intrest the younger generation showed in the Family Tree so this thread is about the people the courtyards and Cromwell Street School with photo's they might not have seen before ....and if you can identify anyone on a paticular photo ..please do as names have been lost and time is ticking away
The 1st Photo is in a courtyard at the top of Cromwell Street at the Great Lister Street end
Showing either a party to celabrate the end of the war or a Coronation party

[attachment removed for upkeep purposes]
Cromwell
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »

Here are 3 Photo's of the sports teams of Cromwell Street School and like all the photo's on here if anyone is on one of the pic's and get in touch I can send them a larger copy
Do you know anyone ? I can name all on Cromwell St Football Team
Name over half on Cromwell St School
and name a few of the Cromwell kids

Cromwell
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »

I wonder ..Does anyone know any of this gang from Cromwell St
I can name about about 8
- McCormack,Sylvia Cleaver.- Austin, George Harborne, June Jarvis, John Roberts, Tommy Gamble, - O'Malley

Cromwell
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »

Smashing photo from the 1950's of young Tommy Gamble on his 3 wheel bike in the courtyard at the top of Cromwell St

Cromwell
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »

Below is a typical plan of the back to back houses in which 12 familys lived, Coloured yellow is the amount of room one family would have.... size 14 feet 6 inches by 10 feet ...L.F stands for Living Kitchen as that was the only room downstairs and above that one bedroom the same size and if you had an attic it was on the Top (3rd floor) .We had one in Cromwell St but you could not go up the stairs because they had gone rotten. Below the Living Kitchen was the cellar or the coal hole. 
 All these type of  houses stopped being built in 1914..at the start of WW2 there were 38,000 Back to Backs and over 100,000 tunnel Back houses in Brum till the Blitz came and started to blow them up...... before the City Council started to demolish them in the slum clearance and built even bigger slums than the ones that they knocked down 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:00:13 PM by Cromwell » Logged
Cromwell
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »

I  just thought I must put this on here for my Mate .........and for the others who dont know this is a view of Cromwell St (on the Left ) Looking down from Gt.Lister Street

Cromwell
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »

Our Dads Sister Sarah Anne Knight with Albert Haycock dressed in their Sunday Brummagem Best

Cookie55

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

Hiya Cromwell. Where is your Albert Haycock from.? My family of Haycock's came down from Cannock, Rugeley, Tipton and into Aston My Grandmother, Elizabeth Haycock, Her Dad and Mom. William Haycock and Jane nee Millington. Edward Haycock and Elizabeth nee Royall. further back, William Haycock and Charlotte nee Chadband. Benjamin Haycock and Sarah nee Wooton. Thomas Haycock and Sarah. taking us back to early 1700s in Cannock and Rugeley.
Cromwell
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »

Cookie they came from Aston ..Nechells ......married into the Vaux family .....Gold family .Grice Family ...Knight Family
1922 Albert Haycock was living in Dartmouth St ..........aint really done that side of the family tree but getting there
Nephrititi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

I just love looking at these old photos.

I have a few pictures in my family tree folders, although no interesting stories to accompany them.

Maybe we could have a new section dedicated to old photographs.

Fay
silver surfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »

Cromwell I went to school with June Vaux, she had a sister Pearl and brother Roy.  They lived in Park Lane, Aston.
Cromwell
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

Do you know Dave Vaux ? Birminghams best known man for info on the Birmingham Battalions ....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:16:19 PM by Cromwell » Logged
silver surfer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

Sorry Cromwell, I don 't know of David Vaux.
Nechellsboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 11:05:31 PM »

I wonder ..Does anyone know any of this gang from Cromwell St
I can name about about 8
- McCormack,Sylvia Cleaver.- Austin, George Harborne, June Jarvis, John Roberts, Tommy Gamble, - O'Malley

hi, I haven't seen the photo but John Roberts was my brother, he he's sadly passed away but I also went to Cromwell street with my other brother and sisters carol, Sandra, and Martin , I would love to hear from any old school friends. Billy Roberts
townie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »

I used to know a girl called Carol Cleaver from the Saltley area, Crawford street or road I think but its a long time ago, but I remember the name so that's correct.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: