BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blitz of Birmingham and its suburbs  (Read 23376 times)
Holly

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »

I'm sorry Den but Cromwell is not with us at present but maybe one of the others will help you don't give up, i am sure that some-one will see you waiting there...Cat
Albert
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »

There were actually 4 people killed at 76 Richmond Road on the night of the 9/10th April 1941.  A male occupier and his 11-year-old daughter plus a married couple who were at that address at the time but lived round the corner in Bordesley Green East.  I have not, as yet, determined the connection (if any) between these families.

I don't have a bomb map of the area and not sure if one exists.  Cromwell's map covered only the city centre and peripheral area hits, I believe.  Records of the AA/Warden unit, based at the Oaklands recreation ground, show that on that night, an air-raid warning was sounded at 9:33pm and the all-clear sounded at 2:48am and there were 33 incidents in the area.  These 'incidents' would have included all notable occurrences and not restricted to bomb damage.
iangmclean
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

Hi Cromwell , looking for Beales St Aston,my great grandparents and one of their sons were trapped in the cellar of there home when it was bombed. The son had to have his ear stiched up whilst still trapped in the rubble. Apparantly they featured in Newsreel footage of the time and my great grandmother Annie Arnold nee Gower was shown emerging from the cellar with a canary in a cage.

Ian
John 2000

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »

If you could see a map of Balsall Hearth and where the bombs dropped, ( bomb sites ), you can see that they came over Balsall Heath, from the West coming over the Bristol Rd, heading for the BSA factory, over Calthorpe park dropping its first load on a rope works ( Chedder Rd), there where 3 sites there ( houses ), then onto an area between Mary St School and Whenman st, again 3 sets of bomb site, then onto Straford Rd, ( near Camp hill) some more where let loose, and then into Small Heath, almost by the BSA, if you put the BSA works in the middle of a clock with 12 Oclock up to the City centre, you will notice that they came from 8 Ocolck, 9 Oclock, 10.0 Oclock, then from the East side over Small Heath / Digbeth/Bordsley Green ( city centre side), all going for the BSA, and other places in the area, like the railway lines .... I know all this because I used to play on them. J2

Sex is like air...it's not that important unless you arn't getting any....
Mikem
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »

I am a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned the daylight raids ,
commonly by single intruder aircraft-----or are we to take "blitz" literally ?
 Also , I have to say that I have not seen any mention of the eastern part of
Ward End on any of the Birmingham forums ,
 By Eastern , I mean Stechford Rd , Beaufort Ave , Southbourne Ave ,
Westbourne Ave , Hodge Hill Rd ,  Coleshill Rd ., and so on .
 So I shall kill two birds with one stone .
 In a daylight raid , two people on Stechford Rd , one in Beaufort Ave and
two on Coleshill Rd were hit by machine gun fire from a lone raider .
 It flew over Parkinson Stove Stechford heading for Castle Bromwich aerodrome .
 To add to the bomb tally , a pair of landmines blew up the morning after a
raid at the backs of houses on the south of Stechford Rd , and a pair of semi
detached at around number 74 Stechford were severely damaged--one was
levelled , the other was left with the side wall and sharply sloped front and
back walls , the latter was repaired , the other rebuilt .
 We frequently had incendiaries land in the garden , and one went down the
downspout and we could not get the material to mend it for ages , presumably
because it was cast iron .
 I remember seeing the glow of Coventry on fire  , and the River Cole lit up like
a fairy glen with incendary bombs .
 Finally , Stechford Rd used to be called Rabbit Lane until about 1935 . My Mom
got knocked down by a car there , she and Dad used to walk down what was
a country lane ; eventually , 1937/8 they moved into a new house in the newly
named Stechford Rd .
wally

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »

I can find no information on the bombing on Dorrington Road, Perry Barr, but we had 3 bombs on 3 different occasions - I lived at No 74, which was directly opposite the new school gates and the first bomb was a direct hit on the new caretakers house (not then occupied) which completely (and I mean completely) destroyed it, blowing all our windows out. No 2 was a stick of 6 incendiary bombs - one coming through the roof of the house and landing in my bed, just seconds after my mother pulled me out of bed to go down the shelter " because they are getting close tonight!". I managed to collect another 4 tail fins next day. No 3, an unexploded landmine landed and buried itself in the garden of No 100, a friend of mine's house. All the kids went to gawp around the huge crater, until the police and army came to defuse it. Most of the road was evacuated.
My father, together with fellow workmates, was machine gunned by a lone German plane as they left work at the GEC in Witton. He survived.
Oh happy days!
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »

Hello Wally and Welcome.

The only thing I can remember were the cracks in our ceilings due to the antiaircraft guns in Perry Hall playing fields.  We lived in Dewsbury grove and my Sister and I both went to Dorrington road infant and junior schools.

Nick
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »

Hello Everyone
The Battle of Vauxhall
Vauxhall, Birmingham 7 was of interest to Mr Hitler because it had a railway line running throuh it from Birmingham to the north of England. A anti aircraft gun sat at the end of Cathcart Street, the road I lived in. The planes would come over to bomb Vauxhall Railway Station and on a number of times they did move the lines slightly but next day the gangers put them back. They also blew up a mains gas pipe in Duddeston Mill Road . I was born in a cellar at number 47, Cathcart Street used as an air shelter. After being born I was taken back to number 62.
One night the planes came over and I suspect got a little frightened by the flack they were getting. They took out houses in Cathcart Street,Inkerman Street, Alma Cresent and Dollman street. Inside that square of streets were another block of houses and all of them went. My home at 62 Cathcart Street was converted from a house to a bungalow.
I had wonderful adoptive parents, who had lost two children. I then lived at 59 Cathcart Street. I was brougt up as an only child with strict parents but they loved me and were always there for me. They supported me in every thing I wanted to do and did.
When I started school at Loxton Street I was 1 of 5 who had new parents and numerous children that had no Fathers. Nobody made any fuss about it.
Just call me the Cathcart Street kid...Gerald.
Garden Gerald.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: