BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 13, 2017, 03:26:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blitz of Birmingham and its suburbs  (Read 23363 times)
Cromwell
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »

If anyone wants any info on this topic just ask as I have quite a few old ARP maps showng where the bombs fell during those dreadful times some areas are missing but you might be lucky and I might have your street
JOHN
researching

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »

Hi Cromwell two areas I am interested in regarding bombing Handsworth around Soho road area (Booth street and Aston 6 (Park Lane) please
Cromwell
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »

Map I have does not cover North of Aston Park but I will ask a mate if he has a map that I can copy ..so you will have to wait a while
Cromwell
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »

Just had a look at my mates map John.Houses were hit on both sides of Park Lane Aston Church end Bombs also destroyed the Old Aston Unity Cricket Club grounds and Pavillion a bit higher up in Trinity Rd but thats as far as the map goes
silver surfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:28:26 PM »

Cromwell I think your answer to John's query is regarding Park ROAD not Park Lane.
From memory coming up from Aston Cross there was a bomb site in Thomas Street opposite Yates Street,
part of the church in Yates Street was bomb damaged, we had to go there for our ration books, I also went to the Brownies at that church, I don't remember its name. 

Further up on the left hand side just before Sutton Street was another bomb site including a row of shops the remains were there for years well in the 1950s, one was  a butchers and the tiling had pictures of pigs,sheep and cows, these fascinated me as a little girl.

On the corner of Sutton Street and Park Lane was another small bomb site.

Further up on the right hand side just past Barton Street was another, not so obvious from the Lane put it stretched right up into Tower Road, and then on the corner of Park Lane and Barton's Bank was another
bomb site.

napier
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »

Has anyone got any information regarding bombs falling around Hall Green please. Thanks napier
forgemills

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

I am looking for pictures or any information on Rookery Road, in particular 252, it was bombed on 28th July 1942, with 2 women as civilian war dead, one aged 60 the other aged 72. Any help would be gratly appreciated, thankyou  Smiley

researching Burrows, Whittle, Stevenson, Pearsall, Davies, Draper, Baker, Rowley, Taylor, Hipkiss, Twining etc
lindylou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »

Hi there,there is a picture and some info on the link below
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=13571&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=14555
Handsworth was heavily bombed in World War Two during the Blitz. Although primarily a target for its industry, the local houses and shops suffered too. The project is pulling together material from different sources to tell the story of the Blitz. This will include photographs, newspaper reports, maps of the damage and ARP Warden Logbooks, courtesy of the City Archives.
forgemills

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

Thankyou lindylou, the picture certainly shows a wipeout, the people living there wouldn't have stood a chance whatsoever  Smiley

researching Burrows, Whittle, Stevenson, Pearsall, Davies, Draper, Baker, Rowley, Taylor, Hipkiss, Twining etc
Glory
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »

Hi forgemill
              If you type in Digital Handsworth and then Rookery Road in the search box of their home page you will get pics.of bomb damage in Rookery Rd.Might be same ones as lindylou's,but it's worth a look .Used to travel on No.11 bus from Perry Barr to Winson Green via Rookery Rd.and it was certainly some mess.The story at the time was an aerial torpedo had caused damage.
                                                 Old Glory
forgemills

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »

thanks old glory, going to take a look now  Smiley

Cromwell
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »

Sylvia you are correct ........Napier not got Hall green Yet but have got
Hay Mills ......Yardley.........South Yardley.........Acocks Green .......Stockfield ...Olton..........Elmdon ....Garretts Green

Pic enclosed I got this morning from a relative .....given to school children after the war was over

[attachment removed for upkeep purposes]
davidfowler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »

From what you've posted I think I know the answer!
I was told that a bomb fell on Bromford Lane near the Valor field, (just below the Navigation Pub). Don't suppose you've got a map covering that area? Undecided
Lloyd
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »

Anything for Hagley Rd, Sandon Rd, City Rd area? I know that some houses opposite George Dixon School were bombed, the Headmaster (Mr Rumsby) told us lads about pupils finding limbs and body parts in the school grounds next day.
Cromwell
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »

David On the night of the 19th November a high explosive bomb hit the large factory on the corner of Wheelwright Rd and Bromford Lane was that the Valour? Map enclosed blue dot High Explosive ...Blue Cross Unexploded

Lioyd ..area you want is just off my maps

[attachment removed for upkeep purposes]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:32:57 PM by Cromwell » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: