BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 12, 2017, 04:20:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell us all about where you live now!  (Read 3217 times)
colbayl
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »

Smiley Hi Everyone

I moved from Tessall lane Birmingham to down size and live by the sea.
I now live in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk since 2006.
I love it here by the sea, it is just 2 streets away and we live in a terraced house a mile from the town and countryside.
We use to come here for holidays with our children over the years and we always wanted to retire here.

Great Yarmouth Norfolk.

There is the sea and sand and sun when we get it but it is lovely in the summer. We have 2 piers (Brittania and Wellington piers).
We also have a quay and we are a town with lots of shops cafes pubs museums etc; infact it's like Blackpool but better and we have the lights too. We have a marvellous circus with great acts and a spectacular synchronised swimmers preformance.
There is plenty of nightlife and hotels, caravan sites and bed & breakfasts. We have a Marine Festival every September and an Out There special every year where different countries come to put all sorts of acts on in St Georges Park. We have a beautifull water gardens to walk round and picnic in. There is so much to see.

Come and see for yourself, it is a childs paradise and not expensive either.
Colbayl    Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:49:35 AM by colbayl » Logged
Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »

I come from Gt.Barr Birmingham  but I live in Hamilton
New Zealand...........Now what do you want to know,
if I can answer the question I will...
Think I,ve said we came here in 1970,have been a Resident
not  Citizen for 40 years.........Would,nt have stayed if
not liked....Btw the only thing different from actually
being a citizen in N Z is that i cant have their passport,travel on
a British one

colbayl
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »

Smiley Hi Sheila

What made you move from Great Barr to New Zealand? Did you have somewhere to live and a job to go to?

Colbayl :-)
Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »

Kia Ora Colbay1 and all.
Well my husband had,nt been happy with the EEC( whatever)
did,nt like the way things had started to go, he also kept
talking about Enoch Powell and what he said about blood
in the streets (cometrue eh)..Anyroad we applied for Oz then
realised about the snakes so wiped that..Actually we had to
apply twice for here,then medicals,interviews, money checked
references all looked over by the NZrs at New Zealand house
Haymarket London.........First interview July on plane for NZ
1st Dec.."They" had decided we suited them....
Tony was offered three jobs, nothing paying anything like
he was earning but we decided it was worth the drop.
Truly cant remember 2 of the jobs but the one he took was
here in Hamilton..this job was on condition we stayed for
2 years,he got promoted twice in that time and at the end
was in charge of the drawing office, thats when things got
better..Joined another draughtsman and started up on their
own, lots of work cos here one does,nt just stick to one trade
you have to have a finger in many pies, at least thats how
it was back then.......Home, well we rented a 2 Bed Unit,then
 we bought the land and  built the home I still live
in have been here in this house 39 years and hopefully the
only way i will leave is feet first in a box..
Now any questions cos i can rattle on if and when you like
Part of house below

* family_009.jpg (56.65 KB, 480x360 - viewed 81 times.)

colbayl
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »

Hi Sheila  Smiley

I bet your glad you left Birmingham, it just ain't the same anymore. They called Nechells the slums, well i would rather of had it in my moms day than present. Everyone helped each other in my moms day and gossiped as well  Roll Eyes but they all mucked in and helped each other when needed.
Your house looks great is it a bungalow without stairs? Do you ever visit England?
I was originally from Wexford Ireland and hope to retire there someday.
Do you have sunny weather all the time or is it like the seasons here?
Is Christmas the same time there?

Speak soon!
Colbayl x  Smiley
Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »

Colbay1
 hope this is soon enough,
Weather, well the seasons are the same but vary in how
the weather is, for instance yesterday was 28cel 91humidity.
so far this morning its only 21cel but its only 8.30, actually
we a had a wee drop of rain in the night first for about
5 weeks, have a watering ban  at present but I use the hand hose on my precious roses......House, in the main homes are one
story and they are Houses not bungalows,thats the stupid
name for them in the uk, they are also built of wood mainly
the frame work because of Earthquakes,ok I live on the very
edge of the fault line but its safer  than some places
My cladding is white summit stone,thats like a rock to look at.
Lord you do ask daft questions mate,course Christmas is at
the same blooming time we have,nt changed the calander
at least not yet, one never knows these days..We put up
Xmas trees and some decorate their homes like the Americans
I stick to hanging my cards on the door and the tree in the window.
Pleased to be able to say that I have many friends, some even from
Ireland. Doug and Mary are from  Macroom which I think is in Cork
Peter and Lucille are from some place I cant remember, ..
We do not live in each others pockets but are there to help when
its needed, once you make friends with a Kiwi you have a friend
for life.....Visits back to Brum  twice 1975 to bury my Dad and then
1986 to kinda say goodbye to Mum, she died next year at 88.
 Agree with you about the different areas ,visited Aston and mine was the only white face there...........

Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »

And I was born in Coleshill.
Stolen by a roving band of Gypsies, I was sold off to the Robinson family of Nechells.
At the age of 6, I could be found working in our cellar chopping firewood, two years later I was knocking the doors of our neighbours to sell them that wood and in the Summer, flowers from our garden.

I left Cromwell St 'cos they knocked it down (I was 2)
Moved up to Ashted Row in '54 and when the mice and blackbats forced us out to lack of living space, I moved over to Hindlow Close (where Scott and Spooner St used to be) I was 11 then, we moved in on the same day I started Loxton St boys school, on Sept 3rd 1963.

Stayed in Hindlow until I was 25 and left to get married, moved up to Great Barr, Tynedale Crescent, then over the Beacon to Streetly.l
After a short while there, I moved to Norton Canes (hated it) them moved to Tamworth, a place called Foxglove,
In '86 I moved to my current home where I've had a wonderful 24 years and raised my daughters and travelled the world.

The rest?
That's in the hand of fate.

Me, my wife Roz and our grandaughter Katie a few months ago.

* 34226_10150218123885478_511870477_13107865_6199209_n.jpg (78.88 KB, 540x720 - viewed 91 times.)
Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »

K  you must have done something right to get two
such gorgeous ladies in your life.....Congratulations....

btw   I lived on the Walsall Rd.    then married moved
to Barr Beacon and damned cold it was to..

IRENE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »

Hi All.I now live on Castle Vale and have done for the last 29 years i love it on here and i wouldn't move.Before i moved here i lived in Erdington the only reason i moved there was to be near to my parent's who are no longer with us.We moved from Nechells to Tyburn Rd and i used to get the bus to school(Duddeston Manor).My first place i lived when i got married(divorced now yipee) was Plane Grove Chelmsley Wood another great place well i have enjoyed my trip down memory lane.
Aaron
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

Where abouts in Nechells did you live Irene ...? And what year did you leave there ...? My sister lives on Castle Vale since the 70s, in a house in Filton Croft. It had the front elevation changed to that new yellow brick, do you know it? Her name is Brenda Mullins ...?

She is well known and her and her husband Jimmy are still together since 1971. She had four kids, 3 boys and one girl. The youngest one is in college, another at University, another is a Chartered Accountant and the other, a girl, is an Office Manager at Morris Cranes. She has two grand children that she minds everyday for her daughter Lorna.

Castle Vale had a bad reputation years ago that followed it, but they turned it all around and it doesn't have one anymore, it's a much bettter place now they have removed all the tower blocks and built Sainsbury's .... 
IRENE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »

Hi Aaron.I lived in Inkerman Street we moved from there in 1971 or there about it's been a long time ago.I've heard of Filton Croft but i just can't think where it is at the moment.I have heard of the Mullins i know a Denise Mullins she has 2 children both girl's.They must be about 21 and 15 now.Brenda's kid's have done well.Castle Vale did have a  reputation but it's ok now we are lucky with the shop's and all the bus routes we have now as i said before i would'nt move from here i now people who want to come onto the Vale but here is a waiting list.My friend moved off the Vale brought an house at Castle Bromwich sold that and come back on here she missed it that much.
Aaron
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

Hi Irene, I don't know Denise Mullins .... Brenda lives just passed the Tyburn House heading for Kingsbury? Get in the right lane and you turn into the Vale at Yatesbury Ave and then immediately turn left into Manby Rd, so you are travelling parallel to the Kingsbury Rd .... You take the junction with Baginton Rd and Filton Croft is off that .... It's at the back of St Gerards School .... She used to live in Cosford Tower on Yatesbury Avenue, but she got the house in 1981, when her second child was born, and loves it ....

We were in the next road to you? We lived in Dollman St that runs parallal with Inkerman St, from 1961 till we left in 1972 .... We absolutely loved it down there, the people were so friendly ad helpful and we really missed it when we left .... Mom reckons the years she spent in Dollman St, were the best of all the time she has been in England and that is 64 years ....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:21:39 PM by Aaron » Logged
IRENE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »

Hi Aaron.It must be my age forgetting thing's ha ha you jogged my memory i remembered where Filton Croft was.My sister Pamela used to go around with a girl named Pat Steele who used to live in Dollman St,also Marie Savage she  also knows Alan & John Topping, Christine, Lynette, Pat, Kim, & a brother named Lesley there surname was Martin, John Pitt's he had a sister named Lorraine they all lived in Alma Crescent.Do you know any of them?.I also loved it down there them where the best day's we never had much but we was happy.
Aaron
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »

I knew Willie and Johny Burns ad Theresa Carroll from Alma Crescent .... Also Bobby, Alan, John and Betty Topping .... used to hang around with our Martin ... and spent a lot of time in our house ....

Great days in Brum .... and Birmingham City have just won the League Cup in Wembley .... a trophy for the city ...!
Brummie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »

Born in Mosley, lived with my mom in Balasll Heath, Cox's Street West) it's been pulled down now, and the spot where I lived they have planted a bush, and when I told my lady friend that's where i used to live, she looked at me as if I had gone nuts,
later my mom died so I lived with Uncles and aunts all over Brum, later work was had to get as a carpenter/joiner, because of an influx of less paid workers, so I moved to France, worked in Africa for many years, then came to Holland the land of tulips and windmills, went for a two week holiday, but liked it so much I stayed and been here ever since ( almost 30 years ) and still cant speak Dutch very well, .so now I'm a retired old geezer that sits in the sun all day.. Grin...J2
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: