BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
December 16, 2017, 01:35:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jewellery Quarter  (Read 3553 times)
Beryl McMullen
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

Histoy tour of Birmingham's Jewllery Qquarter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKu7ps13fU
Judy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »

Try the JQRG - Jewellery Quarter Research Group - for records and lots of interesting information.  I found the burials of several of my ancestors on this site!

http://www.jqrg.org/
Pat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »

My first job was in the Jewellery trade as a trainee 'polisher' of quality gem set jewellery at 15 years (1953) earning 4.10.0d per week. After doing some secretarial studies I moved into the office at aged 19 yrs at a company in Vyse St and stayed in this industry until I was 22 yrs.
At that time the area around Hockley was a real HUB of related industries from silver and gold smiths, diamond and gems polishers/merchants, enamellers, engravers, etc. and supporting industries such the Birmingham Assay office that certified the quality of gold, platinum and silver, as Cannings Chemicals that produced the compounds used in cleaning and polishing the items, also cardboard box makers that produced the packaging for items.  The products produced ranged from fine jewellery: rings, necklaces, broaches & bracelets, to make-up compacts, lipstick cases, dressing table sets, christening items, tankards, award cups, silver trays and silver picture frames, and much, much more - one company I worked for sold a chess set made from white and yellow gold pieces on a green & white marble board.
Business premises were converted terraced houses and as such working relationships between companies were very close - everyone new everyone else, what their trade was and how long they had worked at a company.  It was a community in itself and I made some good friends whilst I worked in this area.
Aaron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 02:02:12 AM »

Is it still as busy around the Jewellery quarter as it used to be ...?
nickcc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »

Pat.  You were paid well in 1953 at 15, I started work at 14 in 1960 working a 48 hr week for 1/6d per hour and stayed on that wage until I was almost 16.

Nick
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: