BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
October 22, 2018, 02:44:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Stops & Bundy Clocks.  (Read 11334 times)
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »

In my opinion Telstar - the earlier street signs have more character
Telstar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »

I have to agree, Beryl .... In my opinion almost everything made in the past was better designed, looked better, felt right .... and blended into their surroundings ....

That even goes for household appliances as well .... Bakelite radios, radiograms, telephones, old typwriters, sewing machines etc .... were all design works of art .... with some stunning examples ....

Old musical instruments are beautiful as well .... a work of art. I once had a Bluthner Grand Piano .... I sold it to a violinist with the RTE Orchestra here in Dublin. ( Think BBC ) It was a beautiful work of art ....

I also liked the old lamposts and used to swing from the ladder arms on the one outside our house, as did lots of other kids .... In perhaps a hundred years or more it may have stood there, no one ever broke any of it's glass ....

I have a picture of the piano below ....

I had the case re-ebonised and the keys replaced for it's 100th birthday .... The case builder had signed it .... Hubberman 25th of May 1888 - so I had it restored for that date in 1988 .... seems a long time ago now ....  

Click on image to enlarge ....    

* Bluthner side keyboard.jpg (84.53 KB, 560x373 - viewed 159 times.)

* Bluthner Grand Piano 1888.jpg (83.59 KB, 560x563 - viewed 168 times.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:02:52 PM by Aaron » Logged

The truth always prevails ....
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »

Hi Telstar – I understand where you are coming from. .. .

Think some of the problem is that people perhaps more these days are in jobs they don’t like just to make a living – and therefore they don’t have the same pride in what they do.  Having said that I find it is hard to generalize as I still could be wrong –

My issue is although I don’t object to anything being replaced with something new as long as it blends with the surroundings. It’s when folks who have no eye for design try to replace it with something that ends up a big nothing –It’s that when it  leaves me cold. . . 
Telstar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »

Hi Beryl and Sheila, working in the west of Ireland reading some of the posts on a mates lappy .... must be getting soft after reading some of the stuff I've written .... but I do like things, streets, buildings and anything to have a bit of style .... Just seems years ago there was an abundunce of it .... in spades ...! 

The truth always prevails ....
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »

Talking about a sense of 'style'Telstar, it wouldn't hurt if some builders didn't take a leaf out of the Fashion Industry's book 
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 12:47:56 AM »

Buildings - Nothing stays the same. . . 

Format Structure Architecture- Aesthetic Perception Impression – Vision Refine Skyline – Layout Imprint Blueprint – Material Composition Deposition—Build Direction Erection - Footing Foundation Fortification- Doorway Enhance Entrance - Floor plan Define Design –Ceiling Inspiration Integration - Edifice Robust August- Breadth Spiritual Visual –Statement Fraternal Eternal – Ages Display Decay - Upkeep Maintenance Expense –Tomorrow Capitulation Demolition – Ruins Archeology Mythology- Dreams Inspiration Restoration. . . . .

Like the transformations in the Circle of life
Beryl McMullen
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »

Pillar Box outside Tesco store on Birmingham Road ....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:10:18 PM by Aaron » Logged
Aaron
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

This thread is being overhauled and the pictures that were taken down are being replaced .... I hope to have them all restored very soon .... Aaron
Aaron
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »

All the images have now been restored to this thread .... Removing the last of the old lamp posts in Gosta Green ....

* Gosta_Green_Duke_St_Removing_the_Last_Gas_lamp_03.01.75.jpg (70.06 KB, 343x399 - viewed 174 times.)
Aaron
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »

A red telephone box, a Bundy Clock and a double decker bus in the one frame .... they were all interesting and beautiful in their own way ....

Note the street furniture in the Haunch Lane one .... all the things I remember and like are in that one .... and the old maroon and cream lampost is there .... and the yellow bin ....

Just look at that bus shelter as well .... it's great ....   

Click on image to enlarge ....

* Bus Stop, Bundy Clock and Bus Shelter.jpg (45.95 KB, 750x499 - viewed 176 times.)

* Haunch Lane Colour.jpg (49.14 KB, 768x511 - viewed 175 times.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:43:12 PM by Aaron » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: