BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
October 22, 2018, 02:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Closing down..one week to go.  (Read 1869 times)
Kandor

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »

Does anyone remember Lesley's at the bottom of Union St and its perpetual closing down sale?

I dont think you'd be allowed to do that these days but they seemed to be closing down for years.
I also remember Henry's further up and along the other side, I think its WH Smiths now.

I remember them simply because the 56 bus used to stop up there and it was handy for the Odeon etc.
Now, this has got me thinking about all the other places that I visited as a child and as a young man,
I remember Bingley Hall, I really enjoyed going there, I even convinced my girlfriend (now my wife) that the little bar in there was known as the 'Bingley Duck'

I also remember Albert Judd, one of Birminghams most famous Milkmen,
From what I gather he was a fairly brave man during the war, I only remember him from my time spent working at Vauxhall Dairy (I was a Plumber/Pipefitter)
If you ever tried to have a little banter with Albert and you were winning , he always ended it with 'Get some service in'..hardly likely to match Albert mind as he'd done nearly 50 years at the time.

I can also remember the horses going down Ashted Row and half the neighbours rushing outside with a bucket and shovel to get the Horse muck for their gardens..I remember also going down to the stables at the Co-op to go and see the Horses there..I remember clearly the one Horse was called 'Redstick'

Hmmm...does anyone remember that fabulous Pieshop on the corner of Gt Lister St and Cromwell? it was right near a barbers as I remember...
I also remember going up to St Mathews Church for Harvest festival and suchlike..I really admired and liked Vicar Thomas..a really lovely man.

Sheila NZ
Gold Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »

Do I remember Lesleys,   well the one at the top of Steelhouse Lane I do,  there was the shop I got my engagement ring from that was back in 1956, the shop was on its 10th or 11th time of closing down..It was University Rag Day and all
the students came round the shops dressed up as demons
fairies (the winged type) witches etc,,we got held up in Lesleys
and had to pay a ransome, when Tony explained what he was buying they let him off paying and wished us luck..

The Ring is like a 5 of diamonds playing card Tony paid
one and a half weeks wages
 12pounds 10/- for it,  now its valued at 4 thousand dollars
not a bad buy eh , only time it leaves my finger is when I am
making pastry and thats after 55 years of wear....

Kandor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »

I LOVE that story Sheila, this is exactly the type of response I'd like to anything I write, whilst of course I appreciate people saying something nice about my drivel, it doesn't really expand the thread, so well done Sheila baby lol...and thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: