BIRMINGHAM AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES FORUM
October 23, 2018, 11:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poetry D Jour by Beryl McMullen coming December, 2010

Notice: The forum is being looked after by Garden Gerald, Nick and Townie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will high street shops survive?  (Read 146 times)
Twm Sion

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »

Another high street shop has gone into administration. House of Frazer, it has been reported that Sports Direct will buy the business.

Has the high street had its day? Does it need to survive?

Twm Sion
GardenGerald
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:48:56 PM »

Hello Twm
Lots to think about with this post. Many problems to solve.
Do we accept that all things sold cheaply on line are genuine.
Do we support slave labour in sweat shops.
Should supermarkets be restricted to British food only.
Back later when I have given the subject more thought.
Good subject
Gerald.
PS Got 3 G Children with us for a few days.
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »

To much Rents ,to muchBusiness Rates,It's killed the High St.Thats why I sold my Hotel the Business rates were astronomical.We would have had to up the prices 33 percent while the council did nothing to get more tourists to come.
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »

You never hear of High St shops like Matalan and Primark closing,I wonder why.Some years ago because I was gardening and sweating a lot in the midday sun,I bought about a dozen or more T shirts from Primark.Some of them I still wear today very good value and still fit me.
Twm Sion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:29:34 AM »

It seems the big names have held out a bit longer. When I think of 'High Street shops' I think of M&S, John Lewis, House of Frazer, etc. But the smaller shop owner has been dying out for a while. Not so long ago, families out in the sticks would make visits to local ladies and gentleman so outfitters when a special event was to take place I.e wedding, Christening. Now it's all on line.

About 20 years ago it was a job to walk down Oxford street, Regent street in the west end of London for shoppers buying clothes. Now those streets are fairly empty in comparison.

We probably kept clothes a bit longer in time gone by (I still do). Most had one suit or best dress and shoes. Now, wear it once only, in case somebody remembers me wearing this outfit last week.

I do think the quality of stuff in the High Street shops has deteriorated, M&S stuff would last years, got a problem with it, take it back and it would be changed, good customer service.

Let's not forget the cost of parking in the High Street, that's if you can find a place.

Twm

Twm
Edifi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »

TWM,IThink your last sentence Sums it up.The cost of parking in towns as changed people's attitudes.Our council here wants to put parking meters in our small village of Westgate on Sea,because they can see the Cash Cow.Its hard to park sometimes because people shop here instead of going into Margate to payŁ1 an hour to park.Every year for the last 5 years the Coucillors have said We didn't Take so much in parking Charges last year so let's put it up another 20p an hour.Where sum of them get their brains from Lord knows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: